The architecture of our city is a reflection of our culture. The buildings we design and build today, and those we protect, will form our future heritage and define the Melbourne of tomorrow. Our city explains our past, represents the present and offers insights into our future.
The annual Open House Melbourne weekend provides a free and rare opportunity to access and discover the wealth of over 100 significant buildings designed for Melbourne from a broad range of building types, styles and periods.
You can explore the city in a multitude of ways to discover Melbourne’s fascinating past and its rapid civic, commercial and industrial development, by visiting a broad range of significant spaces opened to you on the weekend. These include residential, educational, public, sporting, religious, workplace, cultural, retail and government buildings, and infrastructure. Our well-informed volunteers will discuss the significance of each building’s design within a Melbourne context and contribute to visitors’ experience of both the buildings and the city.
Library at The Dock
This year in Victoria Harbour you can visit the newly openend Library at The Dock.
Library at The Dock is a community hub enabling people to come together to create, explore, connect, belong, learn and participate. Delivered through a unique partnership between Lend Lease, the City of Melbourne and Places Victoria, Library at The Dock offers interactive learning environments and multi-purpose community spaces.
- Saturday 26th July only, 10am-5pm
- Tours will focus on the architecture, design and construction of this innovative new community building made from Cross Laminated Timber.
- Tours will run every 15 minutes, commenceing from the main entrance on Victoria Harbour Promenade.
- Tour registration commences 9.30am Saturday 26th July, last tour commences at 4.30pm Saturday 26th July.
- Melbourne Library Services will be running additional programs throughout the day including children's activities.
- Complimentary coffees will be available through the Library at The Dock cafe for all tour participants.
Port of Melbourne Boat Tours
Port of Melbourne will also be running boat tours departing from Water Plaza at Victoria Harbour. Tours pass Victoria Dock, Appleton Dock, Swanson Dock and the decommissioned harbour control tower on North Wharf.
- Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th July, 10am-3pm
- Tours will depart every 45 minutes from Water Plaza on Victoria Harbour Promenade.
- Last tour at 3pm on each day.
- Tours include a guided commentary from Port of Melbourne staff.